Visitors Center For Fontainebleau State Park
     Home | Visitors Center | Camping | Group Camps | Beach | Trails

   Blue Crabs | Mandeville Events-Attractions | Pictures | Local Links

Visitor Center and the Old Sugar Mill

The crumbling brick ruins of a sugar mill built in 1829 by Bernard de Marigny de Mandeville, founder of the nearby town of Mandeville, suggest an interesting history for this site, and indeed there is. The wealthy Marigny developed this area across Lake Pontchartrain from New Orleans as a sugar plantation until 1852.


The Visitor Center has a small museum inside and tells the history of the area  along with some handmade tools and furniture. The remains of the Old Sugar Mill stands in front of the Visitor Center.

Richard E. Scott
Primitive woodworking demonstrations
Spoons, Paddles, Canes, & etc.
Have Shaving Horse Will Travel
19th century shaving horse
Call (504) 390-4775